Thursday 27 December 2012

A Bad Donato - Joao Donato Psychedelicfunkyexperience (1970)

' "A Bad Donato" was an attempt to break into the contemporary overseas market. I wanted to be successful and bossa nova wasn't my thing anymore, it was too much singing -- João Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim were all working closely with lyrics. Frank Sinatra had recorded their songs. Yet, my music didn't fit into any genre, or if it did it was jazz that wasn't such a commercial success. Jazz musicians were moving more into popular music, such as Miles Davis and Wes Montgomery, and they were starting to play to big audiences. Fusion came along and my record was something like that, a fusion of Brazilian music with jazz rock and electronica.'

"I don't play acoustic piano on this record at all, just the keyboards. At the time, music was very raw, noisier. The Beatles were happening, shouting out their lyrics, and Jimi Hendrix ... who shouted with his guitar. And I made the noisiest record I can ever remember making."

João Donato


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment